Tuesday, April 28, 2020

May 3: Beginner Class- Off Until Further Notice

Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 2:00:00 PM River Market , Kansas City, MO

I am learning to DM. So far, I am not a very good storyteller. I am learning to convey relevant details given by the adventure module. As I get better, I will wander into homebrew adventures.

Right now, I have 4 regular players, and I consider that to be perfect. When new people wander in, the regular players sit for an hour waiting for them to create a character, which isn't fair.

New players need to show up at 1:00 to nail down details of their character, so that we can start at 2:00, or I'm going to start handing people pregenerated characters.

In order to find a group for yourself, go to the individual facebook pages of the gaming shops around town. That is an effective way of joining a table that needs players. Look for their extra pages called LFG (Looking for group) or RPG (Role Playing Game). Meetup is kind of a fluid hub of info, made up of players, but we are busy and our membership is ever changing. This may not be the only place that you need to go in order to connect with other players.

Downtown: Level One Gameshop and Pawn & Pint
Lee's Summit: Pulp Fiction Comics
Independence: Game Cafe
Overland Park: Tabletop Games

I don't know if Liberty or Lawrence have a shop. If they do, I have not been there personally, and can't vouch for their D&D supplies.

There are enough random people seeing this for me to want to throw out advice or discussion topics in this space.

So this week's advice- street smarts vs book smarts

Learning d&d from a podcast is book smarts combined with street smarts. There's a lot of advantage in getting the rules from a show, but there's a nuance to relationships with real people that doesn't get practiced while watching a show.

I put myself at a disadvantage by learning d&d the hardest way possible. I didn't know any players, I couldn't afford the phb, I didn't even know about the podcasts. All I had was showing up at a table every week, and paying attention to the people around me. For 3 years.

One thing that I did figure out was social intelligence is more rare that you would think. Emotional intelligence among guys is almost non-existent. DMs included. This lack causes some serious disrespect issues.

If you are still reading this long post, inexperienced players-

-5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons
-I prefer meaningful story to mindless combat
-I would like to explore what it means to develop a character
-Bring a sensible amount of maturity and consideration for teammates
-Have a pencil, dice, and take notes

Races-Halfling, Elf, Dwarf, Human, Tiefling, Dragonborn, Half Elf, Half Orc
Classes- Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock

If you want to learn more about the D&D universe, there are several console and PC games available. I play Neverwinter. This will give you visuals of the classic places and races of the worlds.

I recommend looking up the novels, either online (ebooks) or through the library (hardcover). This will give you more in depth knowledge on the cultures and typical personalities of the races.

My characters start at level 10. You can use the website D&DBeyond to get started. It does the math for you and tells you some spells to choose from, but they intentionally exclude certain options in order to make you pay for the service- so not all of the races/subclasses are available.

Make sure to use the website for D&DBeyond. Apparently, the app is specifically for source books, if you have paid for access to any.

I know this is rude AF but honestly please, if you learned everything there is to know about d&d through podcasts, if you played earlier editions and just want someone to teach you 5th Edition, this class isn't for you. I am trying to teach people that genuinely do not understand how all of this works, and need to have the etiquette and the story building and the mechanics and the technicalities explained. There are hundreds of youtube videos that will explain 5th edition, it has been out since 2014.

River Market is under construction. You will need to park on the east side of the shop. Or, if you don't mind walking, on the far west side of the market. Click here for event

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you to all our wonderful attendees, exhibitors, volunteers, sponsors, game masters, and staff! #midwestgamefest

We hope you enjoyed your time at Midwest GameFest. Many people volunteered a lot of time to bring this event to fruition. Please thank the p...